Why It Might Be Time To Get A Sign
Your brand is not just a logo, but an entire experience that affects whether or not customers will remember you and decide to do business with you. It should permeate everything you do –websites, magazine and newspaper ads, billboards, sales promotions –and your signs.
Surveys commissioned by Fedex, a small business marketing solutions firm, in conjunction with Ketchum Global Research & Analytics, measured the importance of signage and its impact on consumers as they decide whether to visit your place of business.
The surveys found that:
- Nearly 76% of consumers (8 in 10) said they had entered a store or business they had never visited before based simply on its signs. (FedEx)
- Nearly 75% indicated that they had told others about a business simply based on its signage. (FedEx)
- About 68% of consumers believe that a business’ signage reflects the quality of its products or services. (FedEx)
- About 67% of the consumers surveyed said they had purchased a product or service because a sign caught their eye. (FedEx)
- Nearly 60% of consumers said that the absence of signs deters them from entering a store or business. (FedEx)
- Roughly 60% of businesses reported that changing the design or enhancing the visibility of their signage had a positive impact on sales, number of transactions and profits, with an average increase of about 10%. (UC)
- Over 50% of survey respondents indicated that poor signage (e.g., poor quality, misspelled words) deters them from entering a place of business. (FedEx)
- 38% of large companies with multiple locations identified branding/image as the most important purpose of effective signage, while small firms and single establishments perceived signs to be most important for making their business stand out and for helping customers find their location. (UC)
- Legibility was chosen by both consumers and businesses as the most important characteristic of signs. (UC)
Signs provide continuous advertising for your business, and will work for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The store front's signage is the first impression of the business. It silently greets people by just simply existing. So you need it to look good.
Not only that, but the store front signage can turn itself into a land mark:
" you know where the 'so-and-so' is? just keeping going straight and you'll see my place on the right."
Now becoming a landmark isn't something I can guarantee will happen if you buy a sign for your store front--due to location, traffic, visibility from the road and a number of other factors.
That being said, no one ever opens their business with the intention of becoming a landmark. But this can happen. Instead of thinking about becoming a landmark, think about making that first impression, and informing people of what your business is all about and the overall message you are trying to convey to people.
The message and design of the sign is what is going to attract people. SO MAKE SURE IT'S GOOD! As a sign shop, I can not tell you how often people have come to us wondering why their current sign isn't working. At this point, we usually start designing something else for them because the message on their current sign isn't being conveyed!
In summary, if you're reading this and thinking:
a. You don't have a sign.
b. Have a sign but worried it might be conveying the wrong message.
c. Have a sign but wonder why people aren't coming into your business as often as you would like.
d. Have a sign and just HATE it.
Then you might want to look at your watch; because it might be time to think about a new sign for your business.
Call us today and let us help! Thanks for reading!
-Speedpro Imaging Halifax